Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Poor man's Altec?

  1. #21
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can think of just two reasons to not get GPAs.

    1- Maintain complete Vintage integrity.

    2- Must have nothing but alnico.

    Gary

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by gamalot:
    I can think of just two reasons to not get GPAs.

    1- Maintain complete Vintage integrity.

    2- Must have nothing but alnico.

    Gary
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not arguing but....scratch #2 from your list...pretty sure Bill is working on or is already selling alnico speakers. As for #1...well that's fine for some, old speakers are cool.

    Just found my invoice...I was wrong...it was 325 bucks not 350 bucks apiece.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a lot of infos to digest. There is one great factor that I must abide by. The WPF (wife pleasing factor). How many times have I told her that this would be the last "fix". I wear the pants in my house. But as some would have guessed,she tells me which ones I can wear. forums

    I went into GPA sight but can't find pricings. Would you tell me how to find their products and prices?

    Thank you. Tim

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I read somewhere (here?) that the 418 motor differs from the 416 in having a chamfered gap, the better to produce distortion considered desirable in a guitar speaker.

    I wonder.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Timp, just call 405-789-0221 M-F. Best time would be 10 AM to noon your time.

    Personally, I strongly discourage the building of hybrids. You won't know what you have until you pay for it, then measure the performance yourself. Then you may find it's not what you need or wanted at all. If this practice becomes widespread, or even percieved to be so, even mint condition original drivers (with known, published parameters) will become next to worthless, except as for cores to build new, ****** hybrids. I have to believe that Altec tried all the possible combinations of their parts long ago, and settled on the ones that worked.

    Some would say that dilution brings diversity. To that I can only say I'm glad I've already got mine. forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ December 16, 2007 05:26 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    What's not to love about a brand new GPA speaker? forums
    GPA 515-16G

  7. #27
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Tom Brennan:
    I read somewhere (here?) that the 418 motor differs from the 416 in having a chamfered gap, the better to produce distortion considered desirable in a guitar speaker.

    I wonder.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Tom,

    I've reconed several of both (with factory parts, but some time ago), but don't remember what had what.

    As to Altec intentionally designing in distortion for MI apps, that's something I doubt. Personally, I don't think Altec ever "got it" as far as many musicians' preference for various types of distortion. I have and use most of Altec's MI drivers, and they're all extremely "clean" in the comparative scheme. Sure, they designed them to suit the specific needs of MI reproduction, which differ greatly from hifi, so when used in a hifi app, will not give the desired flatness of response which in itself is distortion.

    I remember my first personal visit with Bill, and when he found I was into Hammonds/Leslies too, expressed some interest in the Leslie in particular. When I described the preamp/amp/speaker configuration, and how it utilized clipping and excessive THD to make the unique sound, a look of horror began to appear on his face. I could tell that the thought of anyone intentionally creating distortion in an amp/speaker system was horrifying. I suppose that if your life had been dedicated to eliminating distortion, intentionally creating it would be a very hard pill to swallow.

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In defense of hybridizing?. Altec did it themselves with older units, I?ve seen 515s with B cones more than a few times. I don?t buy MI stuff so I couldn?t say about that.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    ...I have to believe that Altec tried all the possible combinations of their parts long ago, and settled on the ones that worked...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

  10. #30
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't tell my wife!! forums

    Jim

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.